American Airlines luggage allowance and fees
Flying with American Airlines? Here is some useful information about American Airlines baggage fees & luggage allowance.
|Cabin Baggage Allowance||56cm x 36cm x 23cm||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Checked Baggage Allowance||L+W+H 158cm||23kg – 50lbs||£60 for 1st bag travelling to/from UK|
$30 for 1st bag travelling to/from US domestic
|£75 for 2nd bag travelling to/from UK|
$40 for 2nd bag travelling to/from US domestic
|Excess Baggage Allowance||L+W+H 158cm||23kg – 50lbs||£65 for overweight baggage travelling to/from UK£100 for oversized baggage travelling to/from UK||$150-200 for overweight baggage travelling to/from US$150-200 for oversized baggage travelling to/from US|
American Airlines baggage allowance & fees
You can check up to 10 items of luggage per passenger if your flight is domestic, transatlantic or transpacific.
If your trip involves travelling to, from, or through Brazil, South America, Mexico, Caribbean or Central America, you can check up to 5 items of luggage per passenger.
The size limit for checked baggage is calculated by adding length + width + height. This total must not exceed 158cm (62 inches). The weight must not be greater than 23kg (50lbs).
- Travelling to/from the UK: £60 for 1st bag (£75 for 2nd bag)
- Travelling to/from the US Domestic: $30 for 1st bag ($40 or $55 for 2nd bag depending on destination)
If your luggage exceeds 158cm in dimensions, it will be counted as oversized baggage and you will have to pay a fee. American Airlines will not accept any baggage that is larger than 320cm (126 inches).
- Travelling to/from the UK, the oversize baggage fee is £100.
- Travelling to/from the US domestic, the oversize baggage fee is between $150-200 depending on the destination.
If your bag is heavier than 23kg, it will be charged as overweight baggage. American Airlines will not accept any luggage heavier than 45kg (100lbs).
- From/to the UK, overweight baggage will be charged £65 per one way.
- From/to the US domestic, overweight baggage will be charged between $100-200 depending on the weight and the destination.
Be aware that these fees are non-refundable and apply per bag per leg of the journey.
Alternative to excess baggage fees
Travelling doesn’t have to mean excess baggage fees, mishandled goods, and endless airport queues.
We make shipping luggage easy with our door-to-door luggage courier service. Looking for cheap shipping? We’re transparent with our costings, unlike airlines, you’ll be charged a flat rate with no surprise charges.
Virgin Atlantic baggage allowanceVirgin Atlantic
Air France allowanceAir France